Pages

Tuesday 16 October 2012

Medicine and Muslims

His office is adorned with certificates and recognitions, he calls from his leather backed chair . One by one he calls them his consultations are naturally confidential. It is the same routine, they tell him their symptoms and he listens patiently, nodding knowingly occasionally. The same distressed restless faces meet him every Monday morning. One though , stands out in particular...
" Have you noticed anything else?"
" No , no that's about it. It's been troubling me for quite some time though"
"I understand. Unfortunately, this a clear case of chronic neglection probably stemming from Cardiomyopathy.
"Oh I see. That doesn't sound good at all Doctor. What's going to happen to me?"
" No, please don't worry too much . It should be fine you'll need to take a regular dose of..."
"No , I refuse"
"What you refuse?"
"Yes , I refuse . I'll take as much or as little medication as I want whenever I want"
"What on earth ? Perhaps you'd like a glass of...
"No."
"Umm sorry. Why do you keep refusing everything I offer you "
" Look I'm not listening to you!"
"But Mr Abdullah your sitting in my office, its my job to help you"
" Your not even a real Doctor . I don't believe in you!"
" I think you need to calm down . These symptoms seem like a direct result of your illness . I mean if you'd just think through this logically. You called me a doctor less than five minutes ago , my qualifications are evident " He indicates to the frames on the wall " and I'm only prescribing medication that is proven to work. I really don't understand what the problem is ..."

Oh you who have attained to faith! Fasting is ordained for you as it was ordained for those before you, so that you might remain conscious of God
Al Baqarah 2:183

"are not My signs rehearsed to you but you treat them as falsehood”
Quran 23:105

”verily in this is a message for any that has a heart and understanding or who give ear and is a witness”
Quran 50:37

No comments:

Post a Comment